|D3100 DSLR 1.0 for iOS - Min-U Guide a Complete Reference to Nikon DSLR|
|Monday, 25 July 2011 10:30|
From the app's opening screen the user selects the topic Setup Menu from among from other chapter/camera menu selection, then they pick Self-Timer Delay, where step-by-step instructions are found. A convenient alternative to carrying bulky, printed reference material, the app also includes a handy list of D3100 Quick Specs, a troubleshooting checklist, error messages, supported standards, digital photography & DSLR lens glossaries, an iPad Camera Kit overview and recent Nikon product previews for 2011.
The opening screen of the D3100 Min-U Guide consists of seven main chapter headings, each including a replica of the icon used on the D3100 for that menu. The five main camera related menu chapters include: Playback (modify playback settings and manage photos an movies), Shooting (configure D3100 shooting options), Setup (basic camera configuration), Retouch (create trimmed or retouched copies of existing images), and Recent Settings (your custom menu and options). The sixth menu covers 'Guide Mode' and the seventh chapter, [More], contains miscellaneous info (D3100 specs, buttons and dials diagrams, glossaries, error messages, etc.).
Touching any chapter activates a push transition, where the next page enters right to left, pushing off the current page. Similarly, touching any topic on the second page activates another push transition. This smooth, visually appealing navigation system makes moving up and down the hierarchically arranged chapters and sub-chapters intuitive and enjoyable, while faithfully representing the actual camera menus.
D3100 DSLR v1.0 achieves an ideal balance between comprehensiveness and clarity. Most paragraphs are just a single sentence in length. Instructions contain no unnecessary words, and no unnecessary steps. The goal of the adage "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler," has been achieved here with excellent results. Even when dealing with concepts prone to obfuscation (480p vs. 576p vs. 720p vs. 1080i), the Guide is always factual, straightforward, and easily understood.
* Active D-Lighting - ADL Bracketing
* AF Area Modes - AE Lock
* AF Assist - Available Shutter Speeds with Flash
* AF Focus Area Selection - Control Panel Reference
* AF Focus Modes - Custom Settings
* Auto Low-Pass - Dust Reference Photo
* Filter (Sensor) Cleaning - Exposure Bracketing
* Battery Information - Exposure Compensation
* Color Spaces - Exposure Modes
* File Numbering Options - Flash Exposure Compensation
* Focus Lock - Flash Modes
* High-ISO Noise Reduction - Flash Output (FV) Lock
* Image Quality - Flash Sync Modes
* Image Size - Image Overlays
* LCD Brightness - Image Playback
* Long Exposure Noise Reduction - ISO Equivalency
* Manual Focus - Live View
* Memory Card Formatting - Manual Low-Pass Filter (Sensor) Cleaning
* Menu Reset - Maximum Flash Shooting Distances
* Metering Modes - Multiple Exposures
* Movies - Playback Options
* Picture Control - Scene Modes * GPS * Eye-Fi
* Reset to Defaults - Viewfinder Reference
* Self-Timer - White Balance Bracketing
* Shooting Modes - White Balance Options
Independent developer Ken Tidwell, creator of the Min-U Guides series, commented, "Now you can spend your time shooting more amazing digital photos instead of carrying and digging through lengthy reference materials. D3100 DSLR v1.0 is organized in the same manner as the D3100 camera control menus, meaning that while you use it you also learn more about using your D3100."
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.2 or later (iOS 4.x tested)
* Universal Application
* 12.3 MB
Pricing and Availability:
D3100 DSLR v1.0 is $2.99 (USD) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Photography category. D3100 DSLR v1.0 is current with Nikon D3100 v1.01 firmware. Review copies are available upon request.
D3100 DSLR 1.0
Purchase and Download
Located in beautiful Portland, Oregon, the Min-U Guides team is an independent software company founded by Ken Tidwell in February of 2009. With over three decades developing software, Ken's goal is to provide user guides, manuals, tutorials and iBooks for a broad range of products while leveraging the unique Mac/iOS platforms. Copyright (C) 2011 Ken Tidwell. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Nikon is a registered trademark of Nikon, Inc. All other trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.