Wolf Studios today announces War of Words Free 3.0 for iOS, their crossword puzzle game featuring Action Tiles in addition to Letter Tiles. Played much like other crossword games, players have 8 tiles on their racks and can play both Action and Letter tiles during their turn. The 17 different Action Tiles, including Bomb, Barricade, and Thief Tiles, allow players to destroy, block, and steal opponent's words. It supports online play with up to 30 friends, or local play in Pass and Play mode.
Portland, Oregon - Wolf Studios today is pleased to announce War of Words Free 3.0 for iOS, an update to their successful crossword puzzle game that features Action Tiles in addition to Letter Tiles. Played much like other crossword games, players have 8 tiles on their racks and can play both Action and Letter tiles during their turn. The 17 different Action Tiles, including Bomb, Barricade, and Thief Tiles, allow players to blow up, block, and steal opponent's words. The game supports online play with up to 30 friends, or local play in Pass and Play mode, plus Game Center compatibility with Leaderboards and Achievements. Long a favorite of crossword puzzle gamers, War of Words has been in the Top 100 iPad Word Games in the U.S. App Store since its introduction in March 2011.
In its animated splash screen, accompanied by a large vocal chorus, brass, and beating drums, War of Words greets the player, "In a world of friendly word games, one game asks the question. Why have friends when you can have enemies?" Are those fans of multiplayer, crossword puzzle games somehow less susceptible to the competitive instincts that enflame other gamers? Well, judging by this game's success, no. With War of the Words, logophiles finally have the opportunity to infuse their ordinarily polite gameplay with some refreshingly aggressive offensive and defensive tactics.
War of Words reinvigorates the crossword puzzle genre by introducing Action Tiles, which can be played before or after Letter Tiles during a player's turn. Generally, Action Tiles are played first followed by Letter Tiles. More than one Action Tile can be played, and, as usual, players can form more than one contiguous word in a turn. For example, a player might use a Bomb Tile to blow up a 3x3 block of tiles (causing removal of tiles and concommitant reductions in score for all players affected), then play a Barricade Tile (preventing all players from placing a tile on that spot, until it is removed using a Bomb Tile), then put down a Multiplier Tile, and finally create a word on the board that goes on top of the Multiplier Tile (and earn the particular letter or word scoring bonus).
* Bomb Tiles let players destroy their opponent's letters
* Thief Tiles allow players to steal words from other players
* Land Mine Tiles permit players to hide a bomb that will go off at a later time
* Multiplier Tiles multiply scoring of letters and words (8 types)
* Reverse Tiles let word be played backwards
* Start Over Tiles let players start a word anywhere without connecting to another word
* Use an Extra Turn Tile to play two turns in a row
* Barricade Tiles enable gamers to block strategic locations on the board
* Shield Tiles protect areas from opponents
* Wildcard Tiles are blank and can be multiple letters at the same time
* Based on the standard, online, crossword gameplay loved by word gamers worldwide
* Players are no longer limited to just letter tiles - now included are Action Tiles
* 24 different board layouts to try
* Play online with up to 30 friends at once, or play at home with friends using Pass and Play
* Start a Random game to get into the action fast
* Online Leaderboards let players compare their best scores against friends and others
* More than 90 Achievements to keep games interesting
* Word definitions for those crazy plays
* Instantly start a game with any Game Center friends
* Game Center Achievements and Statistics
* Online chat
* Push notifications lets users know when it is their turn to play
* Invite friends using Facebook, Twitter, or email
* Find friends using a contact list, an email address, a Game Center nickname, and more
"War of Words is the next generation online crossword game," commented Jeremy Fuller of Wolf Studios. "It starts with the turn-based word spelling gameplay you know and love and adds bombs! Have you ever wanted to blow up your opponent's words? Or maybe steal some words for yourself? Now you can."
* iPhone 3GS/4/4S, iPod touch generation 3/4, or iPad 1/2
* Requires iOS 4.3 or later (iOS 5 tested)
* Universal app optimized for display on all iOS devices
* 46.1 MB
* Internet connection required (WiFi or Cellular)
* Game Center account required
Pricing and Availability:
War of Words 3.0 is free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category. A paid version of War of Words 3.0, which is not ad-supported, is available for $1.99 (USD) from the App Store or as an in-app purchase.
Wolf StudiosWar of Words Free 3.0Download from iTunesYouTube VideoScreenshot App IconBased in Portland, Oregon, and founded in 2001, Wolf Studios is the independent side project of Jeremy Fuller. Wolf Studios focuses on designing high quality, engaging applications and games. An enterprise software developer by day, Jeremy has over 23 years of experience in software development, graphic design, web design, and other media. Jeremy studied as a music composer, but he has always been interested in more of a multimedia approach. In 2010, he decided to join the ranks of mobile developers. His first product for the iOS platform, Bourbon Enthusiast, was a success with the niche crowd of bourbon connoisseurs. In February of 2011, his follow up project was released: War of Words. Aiming to take the social word game experience to the next level, War of Words incorporates more than just simple spelling. Copyright (C) 2011 Wolf Studios. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.